Secular AZ is celebrating the end of the 2nd session of the 52nd Regular Legislature with Happy Hour awards ceremonies in both Tempe and Tucson. We'll be raising funds to continue our important work, recognizing lawmakers who went above and beyond just voting to support secular public policy and celebrating our victories in fortifying the wall separating church and state.
Here are a few highlights of our accomplishments:
- Stopping a House resolution that would have declared that "Arizona was founded on faith in Divine Providence" and declared October 2016 as "Pastor Appreciation Month".
- Passing our International Darwin Day resolution through the Senate Natural Resources Committee.
- Stopping a major expansion of school vouchers.
- Bringing Dr. Lawrence Krauss and 150 secular government supporters to the Capitol.
- Repealing several "junk science" measures that had been passed in 2016 and 2015 by the Center for Arizona Policy.
- Developing and implementing the first-of-its-kind "Secular Studies" program at the State House.
Join us on Monday, May 23 in Tempe or on Wednesday, May 25 in Tucson to celebrate our work toward secular government. Special thanks to our Happy Hours hosts: Tempe - Zenaido Quintana, Jennifer White, Michael Shelton, Marie Provine, Mike Franklin, Tory Anderson. Tucson - Zenaido Quintana, Jennifer White, Chris Morton, Amanda Morton, Lisa Laurence, Carolyn & Tim Umphrey, and JP Martin.