Sign Up for Action Alerts
In Memoriam of Mike Steiner
Secular AZ mourns the loss of our dear friend Michael Steiner, who passed away last week. Mike was a constant presence in the Arizona secular community, serving on the Boards of Secular AZ, Freedom from Religion Foundation – Valley of the Sun Chapter, and Americans United for Separation of Church and State – Greater Phoenix Chapter. He was also an active member/volunteer in the Humanist Society of Greater Phoenix.
Mike was deeply committed to separation of church and state and worked tirelessly to make the world a better place. He was always willing to help by sharing his knowledge, ideas and time. We all knew that we could count on Mike to be there when we needed something done… and especially when we needed it done right. His attention to detail was legendary!
Most of all, we will miss Mike’s smile and quirky sense of humor. As one of our Board members said, Mike was so often the spark that lit a smile.
A memorial service for Mike will be held at the Humanist Community Center in Mesa at a date and time to be announced.
This is a great loss for our community. His absence will affect us all.
About Secular AZ
The Secular Coalition for Arizona is our 501(c)4 nonprofit advocacy organization that works to ensure a secular state government. We lobby on behalf of all individuals who believe that public policy free of religious preference is the best way to ensure freedom of conscience for Arizonans of all faiths and of none.
Secular Communities for Arizona is our 501(c)3 nonprofit arm, offering educational and civic programming.
Together, we are Secular AZ.
We represent the Arizona secular community — a vibrant and growing community of Arizonans who self-identify as atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, and other labels of personal choosing — and work to shore up the wall between church and state.
“Secular” does not mean “anti-religion.“ As Arizona’s voice for secular government, SC Arizona is supported by individuals who believe that government policy must remain free of religious bias.
Health & Safety
The Secular Coalition for Arizona is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit advocacy organization that works to ensure a secular state government.
10 Questions to Ask Elected Officials & Candidates
The answers given by elected officials and candidates to these 10 questions can help to reveal whether they respect separation of church and state and secular public policy.
- Do you support legalizing same-sex marriage?
- Do you support enacting laws that codify religious beliefs and doctrine into law?
- Should a person's sincere claims of religious liberty be accommodated in law even if the accommodation infringes on the rights of others?
- Because a prayer generally occurs before each legislative session, do you support nontheistic legislators giving secular invocations?
- Do you support abstinence only sex education?
- Should religious entities receive tax breaks that shift the burden of supporting their faith from their adherents to the general public?
- Do you support the use of public funds to subsidize tuition at religious schools?
- Do you believe that the law should restrict access to medically prescribed abortions?
- Do you support the teaching of science in public schools that is free from religious doctrine and influence?
- Would you vote for a qualified candidate who is also an atheist?