|Four big Christian nationalist bills are scheduled for a second round of committee hearings next week:|
- HB2161 – effectively requiring healthcare providers and schools to “out” LGBTQ+ youth to their parents
- SB1165 – banning transgender female students from participating in girls’/women’s sports teams
- SB1138 – banning gender reassignment surgery for all people under 18
- SB1164 – a ban on all abortions past 15 weeks gestation
Data has shown time and again that when young LGBTQ+ people have their identities affirmed in a positive way, rates of depression, suicide, and other negative outcomes go down. Bills subjecting them to erasure, stigma, and unwanted exposure effectively single them out for harm.
And we probably don’t need to tell you everything that’s wrong with the abortion ban.
The first bill is in Senate Education Committee on Tuesday and the other three are in House Judiciary on Wednesday. Here’s what you can do about them:
- Contact committee members with just a few clicks using our action form here.
- If you are a Request to Speak user, sign in against these bills before Tuesday.