Secular AZ is seeking candidates for an Executive Director position.
Since 2010, Secular AZ has been working to ensure that Arizonans have a secular state government by educating lawmakers and the public about the importance of secular issues. We advocate on behalf of all individuals, including the nontheistic community, who believe that public policy free of religious preference is the best way to ensure freedom of conscience for Arizonans of all faiths and of none.
Secular AZ is seeking an Executive Director. The successful candidate will be ready and able to continue building on the progress already achieved and to help ensure the organization’s sustainability while bringing it to the next level in education and civic duties. Candidates should have a background in non-profit leadership, and a demonstrated commitment to racial and social justice community building. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for overall strategic and operational leadership of this Arizona non-profit. The Executive Director will be responsible for building awareness of the need for secular government, defining the organization’s strategic direction, ensuring adequate resources are in place to support the mission, and leading the staff.
The Executive Director, reporting to the Board of Directors, oversees the business operations of Secular AZ. The Director will:
- Implement and oversee education and community-building;
- Assist and communicate with lobbyists, volunteers, and liaised organizations statewide;
- Seek out and coordinate media opportunities, and maintain an active, pertinent social media presence (Facebook, Twitter, email blasts, website, etc.);
- Maintain and execute an effective fundraising plan;
- Maintain and improve the professionalism of Secular AZ and its staff.
The Secular AZ Board of Directors will work with the Executive Director to set appropriate goals for the organization and will periodically review the performance of the Director towards achieving the organization’s goals.
- Demonstrated team leadership skills and proven ability to effectively manage a non-profit organization;
- Experience building collaborative relationships with staff, volunteers, board members, donors, supporters, government leaders, elected officials, and leaders of peer organizations;
- Experience and demonstrated effectiveness with social media;
- Demonstrated effectiveness with fundraising, budgeting, and fiscal responsibility;
- Ability to communicate effectively with members, allied groups, state leaders, legislators and the media;
- Experience in and commitment to social justice community building, outreach, and inclusion including racial equity, LGBTQ rights, anti-racist/intersectional feminism, and youth leadership development;
- Experience as a facilitator and negotiator, with the ability to both lead and serve a network of passionate and independent secular organizations and individuals;
- Ability to act as a creative problem-solver and consensus-builder;
- Exhibit the highest level of honesty and integrity in dealing with Secular AZ members, liaised organizations, political allies and adversaries, and the general public;
- Legislative policy experience – desirable but not required
This is a 1099 Contract position. The range is $55K to $72K, depending on experience and other qualifications.
How to Apply
Please send copies of your letter of interest, resume, professional writing sample (no longer than 3 pages) and three professional references to email@example.com by September 5, 2021. Please use “Secular AZ ED” in the subject line. Please indicate in your cover letter where you found the job announcement and include your name in the title of the documents that are part of your application.
Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply. Only applicants whose backgrounds most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to interview. Requests for a reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process should be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Secular AZ is an equal opportunity employer and values a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion or lack thereof, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, socio-economic status or record of arrest or conviction or any other category protected by law.